Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A great end to a great season

Well Hunting season is officially over for most people. I am lucky enough to still have atleast one more hunt to tag along on and run the video camera but my guiding season ended with success. I was able to guide my last 2010 hunter to a nice Bull moose during the last week of November. This hunt was mostly driving around glassing clear cuts looking for a good bull to put a stalk on. My client George put this beauty down on a cold evening that was -35 with the wind, it was freezing but a great hunt.



On my last post I ended with the story on how I got my Moose and had to rush to the guiding camp to meet my first clients of 2010. During the first Rut hunt I would be guiding Luis and Bruce. They were long time friends of each other and have made it a tradition to go on a hunt atleast once every couple of years together.
We started in one of my favorite areas on day 1, we were able to locate one small bull and a lot of sign so we felt confident in the area and planned on returning the next day.
Day 2 started the same as always we were up early and made sure we were in the field well before light. The plan as usual during the rut was to attempt to call a big bull in to an opening so we could get a shot. We hunted hard for the first half of the day and with no response I decided we would move to another area I knew the moose liked to rut in and set up for the evening hunt. After arriving in a good spot where we could see well I immediately began calling, I must have called for about an hour when I spotted a bull way off in a cut block. The bull was over a mile away and I was trying to judge him through my bino's when I heard Luis whisper "Tom, big bull". I quickly crawled over to his side and slowly stood up so I could see where he was pointing. The bull was standing in some willows about 150 yards away and all I could see was HUGE! antlers, his head, neck and some of his chest above the brush. This bull was definitely a shooter, he was enormous and he also had us pegged. I slowly grabbed Luis and said" you are going to have to stand up as high as you can and take the front on shot". Luckily we were on a bit of a mound giving Luis the opportunity to sneak a shot through the bulls chest, he made no mistake on this Monster. The Bull grossed 205 inches and had a spread of 57 inches.




I ended up guiding for quite a few more monster bulls including Bruce's 195 inch bull this season and those stories will be posted in future weeks. I was able to also get most of these hunts on film so make sure to watch for the full stories on the Mountain Man Adventure DVD line or check us out on Face Book for more Pictures and updates on the group "Lets Go Hunting Or Fishing With Mountain Man Adventures"
Thanks, Tom Sallows, Mountain Man Adventures
mountainmanadv@hotmail.com
www.mountainmanadventues.com

No comments: