Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Clayton White on pack Dogs

Hi TJ,

I have backpack hunted for Dall's sheep and mountain caribou in various
places throughout the Yukon and the NWT over the last 20+ years and have
used a pack dog for the last 11 of those years. I have also traveled
extensively on Yukon's waterways by canoe and boat for the purposes of
hunting, fishing, recreating and guiding wilderness adventure vacations.
It has been my experience that a well trained and well behaved, strong,
durable dog makes an exceptional companion - carrying substantial
loads; keeping spirits up in foul weather conditions and under adverse
circumstances; keeping a weary traveler warm should unexpected cold
conditions arise; and, preventing unwanted bear encounters.
On the latter, my black Lab has stood his ground between me and bears
(black and grizzly) on a few occasions. His uncompromising stance and
growls leaves no doubt in a bear's mind that safer places lay
elsewhere. His keen senses of smell and hearing alerts me of a bear's
presence and his territorial instincts of marking our camp area assures
me that an unwanted bear visit does not happen.
I believe well trained and well behaved dogs are of significant value in
the safe and comfortable travel of back country users.

I hope this helps you in your efforts TJ.

Clayton White
Cedar and Canvas Adventures
Yukon

No comments: