Saturday, May 25, 2013

A Miss and a Hit and a Hit and a Hit

The day started with another long morning tracking eland and we got close several times but just couldn't manage to get a shot. The big bull offered a shot once but with another bull behind him I was unable to take the shot. We decided to get off the trail and let the eland settle. At lunch time and were treated to an incredible bush lunch beside the waterhole.

After lunch we headed out to track eland again but ran into an nyala and after a masterful tracking job, I somehow managed to miss the shot. We tracked it for several more hours and got close one more time but we ended up losing the track when we ran into a herd of eland. We tracked the eland for a while and got within 60 yards once but the big bull never presented a shot. We'd pretty well given up for the day and were headed home when we spotted a big bull eland with four others. After a short tracking job we found them and finally the big bull we'd been chasing for two days stood broadside at a little over 150 yards. I placed a 250 grain GMX perfectly in his heart and I finally had my hard-earned eland. What a hunt for a great bull.

I can't say enough about the staff here at AAA Serapa Safaris. Their PHs and Trackers are the best I've ever hunted with. The adventure continues tomorrow.

 

Sorry I didn't get the above post up last night but we couldn't get on the internet. We spent the morning looking for buffalo and found a herd of three good bulls but not quite what Mark was looking for. After lunch, we headed out and took a quick drive through the area where i missed the nyala yesterday. amazingly, we found him and after a short stalk i managed to put him down with Vanessa's 30-06. We found a mark on his neck where my bullet had just grazed him yesterday. I couldn't have been happier.

We headed out in search of buffalo after that but couldn't find any but Mark shot a huge steenbuck just before dark. Waterbuck and springbok still on our list and if an opportunity for a big duiker presents itself I'll likely take the opportunity. Still four days left in our trip and we definitely aren't ready to leave yet!

The internet is very slow here tonight so I am unable to upload photos

No comments: