Wednesday, August 18, 2010

New rifle break in

Yesterday I got the chance to break in my new Rocky Mountain rifle from Corlane's in Dawson Creek. The shoot - clean, shoot - clean, routine is painful and drove my dogs mad as they figure everytime a gun is shot the need to fetch something. I'm a God in their eyes and never miss, or they really like to run! Finally I was into the stage where I could shoot some groups and since the rifle is chambered in 260 Ackley I didn't expect a whole lot but wanted to check anyway as I fire formed the factory brass to my chamber. I'd shoot three and clean. After a dozen rounds I noticed that the second two were right on top of one another and decided that maybe the barrel liked a little fouling and started shooting three shot groups - let cool and again. The picture tells it all. Shot at 100 yards there are 9 - 3 shot groups into the target. Yes, 27 rounds! Today I start to handload for accuracy!!!

No comments: