Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Too many stars to align


I know...I know...excuses, excuses but it really does take a lot of stars to align to capture a kill on camera. Throw still hunting for whitetails in the mix and it can be close to impossible. Vanessa and I headed west of town this evening for a quick hunt and we were only a couple hundred yards into our tour when a big fat doe ran out and stood on a hill, about 200 yards away. Vanessa quickly got down on the bipod and the Rocky Mountain Rifle dropped the doe in her tracks. We quickly tagged her and headed over the ridge. While quietly working through a stand of aspen, two bucks and a doe came running through. The first buck was a respectable 5x5 but the second was a true trophy but unfortunately even though I had the crosshairs on him, we were unable to get the camera out of the case before he took off. Oh well, so is the way of television hunting!


2 comments:

Rich Mellon said...

Dude, don't talk to me about stars to align! I was checking trail cams this am and of course walk up on a nice buck. Camera in the pack and by myself. D'oh!

Matt Mellon said...

Man I walk around with the cam on a tri pod and ready to rock in my hand with a camo Shirt wrapped around it to keep it clean. I was having the same problem no time to get it out and ready to go if you jump a buck.