Thursday, June 9, 2011

Bush Buck success!

In spite of the heavy rain we have had success with our quest for a bush buck. They are the smallest of the spiral horned antelope that includes the kudu and the eland here in South Africa. The bush buck weighs in at 130 pounds on average and trophy horns start at 13" in length. The area they live in is impossible to describe as it is a thick twisted tangled mess beyond belief. My PH Clint Gower of Wild Horizon tells me that nothing is too small for a bush buck to get through and  I believe him. We hunt them as we would hunt whitetail back home, hitting the ridges early and hoping to spot one out sunning himself. The ram is a big fan of sun and that is why the weather has made it tough. We saw a nice ram close yesterday but he walked straight away not giving me a chance. Today we watched one feed out and I made sure of my shot.
As Clint said bush buck hunting is hours of boredom that culminates in seconds of panic. A very worthy trophy.

No comments: