Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Northern Spot and Stalk

Just to keep you guys updated with the bear situation.
Down South I had some major issues with bear baits with a late spring, lots of hunting pressure and how fast things greened up, my baits never got the bears they should have. One only had 3 different black bears all season and the other only 2 bears. So after 9 days and 8 nights of camping and hunting we had officially struck out on the baits. When I got home fellow pro staff Luke Viravec got ahold of me and said I better get up north for some spot and stalk. So after a 14 hour night shift dealing with a fuel spill a car crash and several drunks and one drug overdose. I filled the coffee cup to the brim and was making miles to my old stomping grounds. The first day I saw a total of 5 bears one was a good boar Luke and I figure he was close to 400 lb. Problem was we ended up right on top of him but the time we spotted him and he made his way off the pipe line by the time we had the camera set up.
Last night I tried a different area but things were even slower I had one small sow spotted at 2145 and then another juvenile boar right at last light.
I think tonight I will head back to the area where we had seen the larger boar and see if I cant spy him again and make true on my stalk. I have 2 more night to make it happen.
The bears don't seem to be moving till 2100 so I have been getting lots done at Mom and Dads while they are gone Including sighting in my 270wsm and leveling 2 coyotes in the yard!
Matt

No comments: